by Mel Martin
In thinking of the content for this year’s final blog post from me and the YWRC, I perused our blog and found the same post from this time last year… It made me happy to see what had made us happy in 2016, and to look back on some of the progress we’ve made over the past 12 months; as a species, as a planet, as a country…
Yeah we entered the Trump-era. And climate change is still a thing (more so right now than ever before!) But there are always things to celebrate; small victories, right? So on that note, reflecting on the good stuff has become my new favourite way to say farewell to the past year, and aloha to the next.
Happy Christmas everyone, thank you to everyone who has hopped on the YWRC train at some point during the past 24 years; watch this space for our 25 Year Anniversary celebrations in 2018, and we will catch you all in the New Year.
- Jacinda Ardern became the Prime Minister of New Zealand!
- Young people voted in the 2017 NZ General Election, in record numbers.
- Paid Parental Leave in NZ was extended to 26 weeks.
- Same-sex couples won the right to get married in Australia.
- NZ student allowances were increased by $50 per week.
- A Hamilton-based Tonkinese cat was caught stealing men’s underwear, and went viral on the internet.
- Caramilk came back (for a while.)
- Nike released a line of Hijab for Muslim athletes.
- Disney’s Moana happened.
- The YWRC got rebranded and has an ace new logo!
- A major victory was led by E tū in the battle for Equal Pay.
- Game of Thrones – Season 7.
- Smallpox has been eradicated.
- The Ministry for Vulnerable Children will change its name, to cater for ALL children.
- The YWRC has an employment opportunity for a keen educator/administrator and will be hiring soon!