Welcome to the Young Worker Help Centre, a place to get free advice, support, or advocacy if you’re 35 or under and experiencing issues or mistreatment in the workplace. As young workers, we’re the age group most at risk of wage theft, bullying, sexual harassment, and unfair dismissals. We’re more likely to be put through a trial period, be underpaid, or put on the wrong type of employment agreement – just because of our age! Without decades of work experience to back up our instincts, knowing if we’re being exploited can be tough and speaking up can be even tougher. This is why the YWRC free Help Centre exists! Simply fill out the form below or call 0800 289 972 to get in contact. Any details you share with us will be kept confidential, and we will never contact your employer without your permission.

To get free employment help, fill out the form below or call our helpline and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!

Young Workers Help Centre

0800 289 972

[email protected]

Click here to see our tips for solving issues at work.

1. Know the difference between an honest mistake, and someone willingly breaking the law.

Try communicating with your employer, and try get to the bottom of things yourself. Don’t jump to conclusions. 

2. Talk to your employer about any issues in a calm, collected manner.

Sometimes an employer doesn’t know anything is wrong unless you tell them. Your employment agreement requires you to communicate with your employer yourself before taking any further steps.

3. If you can’t solve the issue yourself, talk to someone else who can.

This will usually be a manager, supervisor, business owner, or HR department; and can also be an advocate from somewhere like the YWRC. You can talk to them confidentially about your issues and what steps you have taken so far to resolve them. – They will also want to know a timeline of dates and events to assist in their investigation.

4. Work with your supervisor/advocate to resolve the issue.

It’s important to be honest, and open to realistic solutions, even if you’re feeling emotionally strained.

5. Be patient.

Things like investigations of misconduct can take some time depending on who is involved and how easy they are to communicate with. Follow up regularly, but take it in your stride when things don’t move as quickly as you want them to.

6. Official complaint to the Employment Relations Authority.

You can only undertake a Personal Grievance (the name for an official complaint to the Employment Relations Authority) once you have completed all of the above steps AND your employer hasn’t taken appropriate steps to resolve the issue. If your boss is playing ball, and doing everything they can to help, your best bet is to stay in communication with them. Basically COMMUNICATION IS KEY.

Online Help Form